Nigeria – Twin suicide bombings by suspected Boko Haram fighters have killed at least nine people in the north-eastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri, officials and witnesses said on the 28 Oct 16. "Two suicide bombers riding in motorised rickshaws this morning detonated their explosives 10 minutes apart, with one of them targeting the Bakassi IDP (internally displaced persons) camp on the outskirts of the city," Mohammed Kanar, spokesman for Nigeria Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), said. "Nine persons lost their lives with twenty-four persons injured and evacuated to various hospitals," NEMA said in a statement posted on Twitter. Civilian self-defence fighter Dan Batta that two suicide bombers tried to enter a refugee camp, which houses more than 16,000 people fleeing fighting between the Boko Haram group and government forces, The Associated Press news agency said. The first blast went off around 0700 hrs local (0600 hrs GMT), Batta said. He said a second blast came about half an hour later and about a kilometre away when a tricycle taxi carrying at least two people exploded. There was no immediate claim of responsibility but the attacks bore the hallmarks of the Boko Haram group.
Somalia/al-Shabaab – At least 10 people, including soldiers and civilians, have been killed after armed group al-Shabaab carried out a suicide attack at a police station in the city of Afgoye. Captain Abdullahi Ali, a senior Somali military officer said on the 19 Oct 16 that troops have now fully secured the town and the fighters have fled. The African Union's peacekeeping mission in Somalia, AMISOM, confirmed on Twitter that a car bomb had been used to target a police post but said Somali forces had held their position, waiting for reinforcements. Clashes on the 18 Oct 16 started when a suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle near a police station and an African Union base. Gunmen then stormed the area, attacking military bases in the strategic city about 30km northwest of the capital Mogadishu. "We don't have the exact number of casualties so far but we have seen the dead bodies of more than 10 people, including civilians, who were killed in the attack," local police official Abdukadir Ahmed said. Al-Shabaab, which has been carrying out a series of deadly bombings throughout Somalia, claimed responsibility for the attack. In a statement, the armed group said it had recaptured the town, which it evacuated in May 12 after coming under attack from the Somali army and African Union peacekeepers.