Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) – At least 27 people were killed and seven others were wounded during several attacks by suspected Allied Democratic Forces - National Army for the Liberation of Uganda (ADF-NALU) militants targeting villages around the town of Beni in the Democratic Republic of Congo's (DRC) North Kivu province overnight on the 16 Oct 14. An unnamed military source stated that a number of residents were decapitated and several residences were burned down. Although formally two separate organisations, NALU is the ADF's principal ally and the two groups often operate together within an informal alliance known as the ADF-NALU. The attacks on the 16 Oct 14 was the fourth set of attacks in the DRC attributed to ADF recorded.
Egypt – Egypt has declared a three-month state of emergency in parts of the Sinai Peninsula after at least 31 soldiers were killed in two attacks there it was reported on the 23 Oct 14. President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi declared three days of mourning in the wake of the suspected jihadist attacks and Egypt's Rafah crossing into the Gaza Strip was also closed. It was the biggest loss of life in decades for Egypt's army, which has been carrying out an offensive against jihadists in northern Sinai. It is possible that the attack was carried out by Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, the most active militant group in Egypt. The group professes backing for Islamic State (IS) group jihadists in Iraq and Syria, although it has not formally pledged its support. (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29766945)
Kenya – Kenyan soldiers have killed five suspected al Shabaab militants near the border with Ethiopia and recovered a vehicle packed with explosives, preventing a potentially huge attack, a defence spokesman said on the 20 Oct 14. Kenyan forces intercepted the five men in their car on the 18 Oct in the northern frontier town of Moyale, and ordered them to stop, spokesman Bongita Ongeri said. The militants opened fire and were killed in the shootout. Soldiers found 100 kg of highly explosive TNT in their vehicle along with six suicide vests. "Those were chemicals that would be used to make dangerous explosives capable of mass destruction," Ongeri claimed. Ongeri said the men had originally tried to cross into Kenya directly from Somalia but had failed. "Security officers trailed them using intelligence information and tracked them to Moyale," he said. The incident came just days after the U.S. Embassy in Ethiopia warned of a possible attack by al Shabaab there, and urged its nationals to avoid large crowds and hotels and restaurants in an upscale district of the Ethiopian capital. It was not clear if the militants had precise plans for an attack in Kenya, but the shootout came as Kenyans were preparing to celebrate a holiday on the 20 Oct in honour of those who fought for its independence.
Nigeria – The sophistication of Boko Haram's operations including the prison break, use of propaganda, and the bombing of key government buildings has led some analysts to suggest that the group might be gaining help from al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or Somalia’s al-Shabaab; the Nigerian government, however, has yet to show any evidence of a connection between Boko Haram and other terrorist groups outside the country. Some Nigerian officials have already admitted that Boko Haram cannot be defeated on the battlefield. "Boko Haram (is) better armed and better motivated than our own troops," Borno state governor Kashim Shettima said in Feb 14. "Given the present state of affairs, it is absolutely impossible for us to defeat Boko Haram."
Nigerian military and intelligence officials raised doubts on the 19 Oct 14 about the validity of a ceasefire with Boko Haram, with reports of fresh attacks and fighting in the country's northeast. The chief of defence staff and a senior presidential aide announced on the 17 Oct 14 that agreement had been reached to end hostilities and secure the possible release of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls. Air Marshal Alex Badeh said he had instructed all armed forces' chiefs to ensure the "immediate compliance" with the development. But a senior army officer in the violence-wracked northeast said: "Honestly, we are yet to receive any operational order on the ceasefire. "As such, we are battle-ready and would confront the terrorists if we saw them." On evening of the 19 Oct troops from the 7th Division of the Nigerian Army fought dozens of suspected members of Boko Haram in the town of Damboa in Borno state, witnesses and security sources stated. Earlier, a group of insurgents attacked the Borno town of Sabon Gida. Boko Haram took over Damboa, which is about 50 miles southwest of the Borno state capital Maiduguri, in Jul 14, destroying much of the town and forcing thousands to leave. The group's leader Abubakar Shekau claimed that they left voluntarily but the military said they recaptured it in early August. 361 COMMENT: The Nigerian government are attempting to cease Boko Harem activities with similar tactics to that of the terrorist group MEND. The two groups differ completely with goals, ideology and tactics. There is no mention of the Cameroon or Chad government’s reaction nor participation in this ceasefire agreement. It also appears as time has gone by since this was reported that the whole subject of a cease-fire is either pie in the sky or never existed in the first place. There were no specific demands posted except the kidnapped females which was all a bit one sided. For example would BH be allowed keep the area in the north-east of the country that they have declared a caliphate, thus dividing the country even more? COMMENT ENDS
Dozens of women and girls from two villages in Nigeria's north-eastern Adamawa state have been abducted by suspected militants it was reported on the 23 Oct 14. The residents say they took place a day after the military announced it had agreed a ceasefire with the Boko Haram terrorist organisation. The government hoped and announced that the Islamist group would free more than 200 girls seized in Apr 14 as part of the negotiations. Boko Haram had not confirmed the truce. Following the 17 Oct ceasefire announcement, the government said further talks with Boko Haram were due to be held in neighbouring Chad. (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29740204)
A car bomb exploded at a crowded bus stop in the northeast Nigerian city of Gombe, killing at least five people and wounding 15 others it was reported on the 31 Oct 14. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. Although the region of Gombe has rarely been attacked it is thought that the incident was carried out by Boko Haram.
Sudan – Two South African peacekeepers were injured when gunmen opened fire on their patrol in Sudan's Darfur region. The soldiers were injured when unidentified attackers shot at them as they collected water in the Kutum district of North Darfur state on the 29 Oct 14. The troops returned fire and the casualties were "evacuated to El Fasher for treatment". It was unclear who the attackers were and why they carried out the attack.